Thursday, March 19, 2009

long over 'do

It has been approximately one year since I last visited my stylist. I'm really bad about hair "maintenance" in regards to getting it cut/colored on a regular basis. In the past year I have colored my hair at home three times. But no cut/style since March of last year.

Usually when I get my hair cut I do something funky and outrageous. Most of the time it worked for me. I'm not really interested in funky or outrageous at this point. I'm more tuned into the trends for Spring/Summer 2009 which, as it seems, are the following: super short pixie cuts (um, no); bobs in all shapes and forms (maybe...); long (yes, please!).

I'd like to have long, flowing hair. Gorgeous locks that I could braid (also popular this year) or wear stick straight or wear natural and wavy. But, alas, I am still waiting for my hair to grow out from my previous style:



This is what it looks like currently:



It looks so... lifeless. There's no style there. It's just... ugh.

Here is what I'm interested in acheiving with my new style:


  1. Long layers if possible, keeping most of the current length.

  2. If not, a medium bob (shoulder length) possibly with a side-swept bang.

  3. Something manageable and easy to run with.

  4. Something that I can wear straight or wavy interchangeably.

  5. Something that will work with my round face shape.



In regards to color... that is still up in the air. I do love my red but, like I said, I'm horrible about maintenance and red requires maintenance. So I'm thinking of keeping as close to my natural color as possible. Maybe doing the layers underneath dark and then a medium brown for the top layers. Kind of a caramelization type thing.

Maybe I can get this cut again sans the pink-red chunks:





Suggestions... pictures of styles... input... all appreciated. The appointment is scheduled for Tuesday at 9:30 AM. I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time. Go figure. Normally I'm all it's just hair, it grows back but this year I'm not feeling a short, funky cut. Maybe I'm just getting boring in my old age. :P

2 comments:

Steph said...

That's a tough one. Your hair looks nice and thick.
I love the one where its long, but that might be because I miss having long hair.
I have one of those angled bobs with bangs and it is super high maintenance. Do not get one unless you are prepared to go to the salon every four weeks. If you don't it will look like mine does right now, which is awful.

Me said...

I go to the stylist about once a year. I used to get color (auburn) but stopped because I'm bad about maintenance too. My standard is my natural brown color in long layers with no bangs. Always. I'm not trendy or imaginative enough to be of more assistance!