Tuesday, December 15, 2009

the rain, rain can bite my rear end!

It has been incredibly wet the past couple of weeks. We had a lot of rain last the Wednesday before last. To our dismay, water got into the garage (aka our living space). We were thankful, however, that it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the incident back in March.

Sunday morning whilst cuddling with The Monkey in bed, our fat cat jumped up with us for some lovin' (he was probably just hungry) and I noticed immediately that his feet were soaking wet. We jumped out of bed and, sure enough, it had flooded again. UGH. But, once again, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was in March. (Though it was worse than the incident a couple of weeks ago.)

We were completely convinced that it was coming in from under the garage door. We weren't exactly right but we were close (it was coming in between the brick and the door frame). At any rate, I rushed to Lowe's to find something that would seal off the crack and hoped that would be the end of our flooding woes.

No such luck. Not at all.

At about 4:00 PM the rain started to fall heavy. It wasn't long before water was just gushing in by the door. We hooked up the Shop-Vac (which doubles as a 'sump pump' as well) and started sucking up the water as it came in. It was working just fine until my sister noticed that water was starting to come in from the back wall. That is where it came in from the first time (from a crack in the floor along the wall). We'd patched it back in April with some liquid concrete sealant stuff. For the most part the patching worked. Perhaps a bit too well because even though it was still seeping in (and rather quickly I might add) the sealing we did slowed it down enough to allow it to rise high enough to get into my sister's house. I feel awful. Even though it's not directly our fault. At any rate, about half of her downstairs den was sopping wet. Carpet and padding and everything. My dad came over and we dug trenches and put down tarps in the pouring rain. We were all soaking wet and completely covered in mud. In the meantime the garage got a good four inches of water. It wasn't standing because it is at enough of a slant that it ran out the door but it was enough to float something small. A golf ball perhaps?

After the rain slowed The Monkey and I cut up and removed all of the carpet (which was also sopping wet) and hauled it outside. Then we rearranged all of the furniture the best we could at the only (very small) spot that has seemed to stay mostly dry. In the process we found ANOTHER leak in the floor. Yay. Once we got that done my sister started hacking at the patching we did in April with a chisel and hammer. As soon as she busted through that stuff and yanked it up water came bubbling out. It looked like a fountain! The Monkey and I did as much squeegeeing as we possibly could. The rain has slowed to a drizzle but we're supposed to get rain this morning sometime around 4:00 AM. Yay again. Then it's supposed to rain all day.

Thankfully I talked to The Monkey's boss and he has tomorrow off so I won't be fighting the flood waters alone. In the meantime we are just trying to figure out what we can do to fix the underlying problem. At this point we are not sure what the problem is. Whether it's a crack in the wall under the house or possibly a foundation leak. Either way, my sister's home owners' insurance does NOT cover flooding.

And I ask... this crap couldn't have waiting until AFTER Christmas?!? UGH UGH UGH.

And now I am going to take my aching body to bed. I am sure to fall out rather quickly (I hope). We are in for a long day tomorrow, that is for sure.

0 comments: