Sunday, September 13, 2009

pumpkin spice and everything nice...

Since The Monkey started working full time + frequent overtime, I sort of relish our weekend time together. (Last weekend was nothing short of bliss with the three days and all that.) Unfortunately, my love of our weekend time together has led me to be a bit of a homebody. Last weekend I spent an entire DAY doing nothing. We were lazy all day long. I didn't even shower. :P

This weekend was sort of the opposite. Yesterday I woke up with an urge to go to D-Town. Mostly because I had a serious hankering for a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks.

I am sort of on a mission to find something cute yet comfortable, punk rocker yet chick to wear to the concert. (I already know what The Monkey is going to wear -- jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers. Men have it SO easy.) In my head, I had this ultimate outfit pictured. Blacks and dark grays. Maybe some red. Dark wash, distressed jeans. Black (comfortable) boots. I've been pretty set on a t-shirt and hoodie type deal as per the recommendation of the Internets. (People insist that Philips Arena stays rather chilly even when jam packed with people because it is, ultimately, a hockey arena so there is a big hunk of ice under the stage.) So I thought a shopping trip would lend an idea or two.

No such luck. I searched the Mall, Target, Lane Bryant... nothing jumped out at me. I really loved this hoodie I saw at Kohl's but it only went up to an XL and it wouldn't zip around my big gut and huge-mongous boobs. [grumble] I also found an awesome ...And Justice For All t-shirt at Hot Topic that The Monkey would've LOVED but there was NO way I was going to pay $17 + tax for a t-shirt. (Especially not when the hoodie was only $30.) We wound up stopping in Ulta because my sister and I cannot go to D-Town and NOT stop in Ulta. We mostly browsed. I did come across a display of nail polish that boasted "Paint and Peel". I was curious so I picked up the black and brushed a few strokes onto my thumb nail. Surprisingly enough, it was very pretty. Especially for black nail polish. I showed my sister and she agreed that it was, indeed, pretty. After it dried, I tried the "peel" aspect out. It really works! The polish came off in one piece. So, I bought it. :P When we got home I immediately went to manicuring my nails. I don't really bite them but they do have a tendency to split and crack. So I filed them down all nice and neat. I massaged my cuticles and pushed them down. And then I painted. I added an "embellishment" with a red Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen (just some red X's, nothing fancy). I must say they turned out pretty cool. I even got a compliment from the sales clerk in Maurice's. :)

Even though the shopping trip was fruitless, we still had fun just wandering around. My sister picked up some really cute pajamas for Madsion. And I cured my craving for a Pumpkin Spice Latte. The only bad that came from the trip was the five inch crack in my windshield. UGH. On our way there we heard a rock hit it. We didn't see anything so I hoped I got off lucky. Not so much, as it turns out. :(

Today I went to Maurice's with very little hope of finding what I was looking for. But, lo and behold, I found THE outfit. Hooray! The top was 50% off plus an additional 40% off. I bought a couple pieces of [costume] jewelry. (I won't be wearing anything that is valuable to the concert. If I'll be devastated by losing it, it's staying at home.) Overall I think the outfit is super cute. I already have the makeup look in mind (a smokey look with light gray accented with darker grays and black).



Maybe I put too much thought into the whole "what to wear" thing. I can't help it. I mean, if I were going out for dinner or to a club or a bar I'd be doing the same thing. We don't go out much and I don't really "dress up" much. So I'm kind of just having fun with it. :P

It is going to be a really, really LONG three weeks.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Super cute.
Crap. I haven't even thought about what I'm gonna wear to my Metallica concert.. I guess I better get started. Thank god I have until November!

Monica said...

You look super hot!!!

Heather Nicole said...

cute outfit!